We have a bumper line up of very interesting news below, a lot went on in the world of VR, AR or shall we call it XR?
The biggest news item of the week was Magic Leap. Word got out that they would be doing a demo on their weekly twitch show and excitement abounded. Although many were ready for disappointment as Magic Leap has a history of underdelivering on their own Marketing essentially and this, unfortunately, was the case again.
What we got was an experience of a rock guy throwing rocks at you, something that could have been made for Mobile Phone AR. It was not something that got the imagination of a fantastic Magic Leap Future going.
Here is what a lot of the community is feeling at the moment and how the projections of what Magic Leap can do through the passage of time. See a trend in this image? It ain’t getting better that is for sure. 🙂
To be fair, I am generally optimistic and see the best in situations and still hold out hope that Magic Leap can and will deliver on what they have promised.
The most popular 360 Youtube Video of the week was Metallica filmed in Sweden with 168,885 views.
Some news from Around the Traps:
- On Magic Leap, AT&T will be the data carrier for the glasses once they are released to the wild.
- A great initiative showing Aboriginal life in Newcastle, NSW before European Settlement. Great idea and storytelling.
- An interesting new Chemistry Game for school and students available for Vive and Oculus.
- Facebook beginning its transition into AR ads in the news feed, very interesting.
- We are big advocates for VR in the Health Sector, here is a great article on just that.
- A great story about restaurant employees being trained via Immersive experiences!
- VR Spin classes, watched the video in this story and it is impressive with some mega climbs, what a great idea.
- Virtual Reality in Recruitment, had not thought of that usage. But, after reading this it seems like a great idea to separate the wheat from the chaff.
- A VR solution to help Boys in particular with Math in Norway!
- VR Tours for an Ancient Egyptian Tomb, they plan on using VR to help save the tomb from so much foot traffic.
- A 12 seat Virtual Reality Cinema in Melbourne, Collingwood. Interesting.
- Augmented Reality and Standing on other planets, sounds like a cool thing to me!
- A very cool AR Experience put together by Remy Martin, loads of imaginative shapes and colours!
- VR helping people with Disabilities overcome real life situations such as train travel, all done in Brisbane, QLD.